If you are struggling with debt, then you can take help through a proper Debt Management Plan. This helps you to reduce the overall debt payments. Basically, a Debt Management Plan is an informal agreement and that will help you to become debt-free.
Debt Management Plan helps you to pay the minimum amount on a monthly basis which you can easily afford. The Debt Management Plan providers will deal with your creditors on your behalf and they will negotiate your payments to the creditors.
You need to keep in mind that it can affect your credits as it stays on your credit report for six years. Let’s get a vivid idea about the Debt Management Plan Scotland.
Benefits of the Debt Management Plan in Scotland
Here, we have discussed the advantages that you can get from a Debt Management Plan, such as:
- You do not have to make multiple payments as it will help you to make a single payment monthly.
- The Debt Management Plan helps you to set a certain amount of money aside for bills and payments.
- If needed, then you can change the plans and you have the power to end the plan anytime.
- This plan helps you to deal with your creditor as you have to deal with these minor aspects. A debt management company will deal with your creditors on your behalf.
- You will be able to get regular financial statements from the debt management company. Thus, you will be able to understand where you made most of your payments.
Risks in the Debt Management Plan
When you are in a debt, you might find that a Debt Management Plan is a better option to clear off all your debts. Before applying for this plan, make sure that you know the risks of a Debt Management Plan.
- When you are not able to make the monthly payments, your creditors can force you to go to the courts.
- Your creditors can continuously add interest as these plans are not legally binding.
- It can be possible that your creditors might not accept the terms associated with your repayment plans. Because you have to repay the creditors for a long period of time. They can even charge additional charges and fees from you.
- You should know that this program can affect your credit rating. Thus, you will find it difficult when you borrow money in future.
- If you miss payments or there is a delay in payment, then you will have to face difficulties and will go into arrears with your creditors.
Different Types of Debt Management Plan
Debt Management Plan can be considered to be an informal solution that helps you to clear off your debts. When you are under a Debt Management Plan, creditors will reduce your payments.
If you are living in Scotland, then you should know that here the debt arrangement scheme works like a Debt Management Plan. In the debt management scheme, you will be able to get legal protection from your creditors.
Debt Arrangement Scheme
This scheme is only available in Scotland. You can refer to the Debt Management Tool. This tool allows you to apply for a debt management program or DPP in order to repay your debts easily. With the help of the debt payment program, you can easily repay your debts.
When you are under a debt payment program, the charges to your debts will stop. Your creditors are not able to contact you and they can not even force you to move to the court. When your DPP is complete, you will find yourself debt-free.
When you are under a debt payment program, your details will be put within a DAS register and anyone can access your details. Your credit file can have a negative impact as the records appear for six years. When you are not able to make payments to your DPP, then it will fail and the creditors can add additional charges.
How a Debt Management Plan Works?
When you are struggling with debts, you need to find a Debt Management Plan that suits your condition. To apply for a Debt Management Plan, you need to join with a reliable Debt Management Company.
They will go through your details like income, expenditure and your credit details as well. After that, you have to sign some court papers and then make sure to return them. Thus, they will be able to negotiate with your creditors on your behalf and the company will contact all your creditors.
The company will try to set new arrangements by stopping all interest and changes. The management company will repay the creditors on a pro-rata basis.
Debts You Can Include to a Debt Management Plan
With the help of a Debt Management Plan, you will be able to resolve issues that are related to unsecured debts such as credit card debt, payday loans, personal loans, and many others. You need to keep in mind that without these unsecured debts, you can not include any other kind of arrears of your debt. You can not include mortgage payments, student loan, council tax, and many others such loans.
How Long You Can Run a Debt Management Plan?
You need to keep in mind that this plan does not run for a fixed period of time. You are able to make payments until you find that all your debts are cleared completely. If you are able to make a large amount of money each month, then the repayment term can become short for you.
When you have a large debt and you are not able to repay, then the Debt Management Plan might last longer.
Verify that a Debt Management Program Suits Your Situation
If you are able to make regular payments to your creditors, then a debt management program might be a good option for you. You can say it is an easy, hassle-free way to make repayments.
Sometimes, it can be possible that this program might not suit your situation.
Thus, you need to look for alternatives like trust deeds and bankruptcy. You can even look for the debt payment program which you can find under the Debt Arrangement Scheme.
A debt management program is a right option for you when you have money left over to pay towards your debts. Check whether you are able to clear your debts within a reasonable time or not. Before applying for this payment program, assure that you are able to pay £5 to each of your creditors.